host students on your farm
Rogue Farm Corps’ internship and apprenticeship programs are designed to train the next generation of farmers and ranchers through a structured, educational framework that includes on-farm training, classes, farm tours, discussion groups, and independent projects. These programs are designed to meet the legal criteria for unpaid internships and apprenticeships.
Host farmers partner with Rogue Farm Corps and serve as primary mentors for the interns and apprentices on their farm. Host farmers are required to adhere to Rogue Farm Corps’ Standard & Guidelines and be committed to the mission of training new farmers and ranchers.
The focus of all Rogue Farm Corps training programs is mentoring new farmers. If you are primarily seeking labor, these programs are not for you.
For all host farms in our programs, Rogue Farm Corps will:
- Promote all open positions on farms and ranches as part of the Rogue Farm Corps program;
- Handle the intake of all applications and first round of screening;
- Co-create on-farm curriculum and training ethics standards for your farm or ranch;
- Provide class outlines, suggested reading materials, and additional resources for students;
- Conduct classroom and on-farm educational sessions to complement on-farm/ranch learning;
- Facilitate farm/ranch tours to other operations for interns and apprentices;
- Conduct site visits and facilitated evaluation sessions at host farms and ranches to help ensure successful experience for mentors and apprentices;
- Conduct bi-annual evaluation of interns and apprentices, plus mid-season check-ins and exit interviews;
- Provide interpretation of labor and employment laws;
- Provide Internship and Apprenticeship certification;
- Provide opportunities for college credits;
- Organize annual kick-off and season debrief meetings for mentors;
- Organize annual orientation for all program interns and apprentices;
- Coordinate an alumni network to support graduates of our programs; and
- Provide a network of mentor farmers across the state.
If you are interested in mentoring interns and apprentices on your farm, please contact Rogue Farm Corps’ Education Program Director today: megan[@]roguefarmcorps.org or 503-622-0161.